Friday, December 16
THE LIGHTING OF THE ADVENT CANDLES:
Have one member of the family light the first purple candle. The candle of Hope!
Have one member of the family light the second purple candle. The candle of Peace!
Have one member of the family light the third purple candle. The candle of Joy!
John 15: 1-11
Talk about these questions with your family or group.
- Someone taking care of a tree or plant will have to prune it. To prune, you cut off an unhealthy part so the rest of the tree or plant can grow healthier as a result.
- Part of our parent’s job is to “prune” some of our actions, words, or habits so that we can grow up healthier. What are some things your parents are “pruning” in your life?
- Is it fun to go through this when it happens? Why do parents do it??
Teens & Adults:
- Yay! It’s Joy week! Let’s talk about Jesus pruning his people!! …
- Why in the world are we talking about this today?
- Have you ever found Joy due to having something pruned from your life? What happened?
- How can we find joy in the notion that “... apart from me you can do nothing”?
- What do you do that helps you Abide in (live in, make yourself home in) Jesus?
- What are the things that tempt you to try to Abide somewhere else?
- That we would be thankful and joyful as Jesus prunes sinful things away from us
- That we would plant ourselves in Jesus