Sunday, December 4
Week of PEACE
John 14:27: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”
This week we will be focusing on Peace. During a season that can be filled with anxiety and chaos, we will examine what it means to have peace in Jesus for those who believe in Him. The peace that Jesus gives us is not based on our circumstances but is often given in spite of our circumstances. The peace we find in the world is only temporary and based on our situational comfort. In Jesus, we find everlasting peace. His peace.
THE LIGHTING OF THE ADVENT CANDLES:
Have one member of the family light the first purple candle. The candle of Hope!
Have one member of the family light the second purple candle. The candle of Peace!
Talk about these questions with your family or group.
- What was the last crazy dream you remember?
- Describe Joseph’s crazy dream in your own words.
- Do you remember why your parents gave you your name? Why did Joseph name Mary’s baby “Jesus”?
- Do you know what peace means? Can you think of a time you had peace?
Teens & Adults:
- Is “peace” a word you would use to describe your feelings during this time of year?
- What do you imagine Joseph’s peace and anxiety levels were like before and after this dream from verse 20?
- What are some things that are currently affecting your peace? How can this story help give you real Peace?
- Remind us of our need for you and how we can trust you more as our Savior
- To give us peace in our moments of fear
- Obedience in the face of anxiety
- Open up to what God would say to us during this season
- Celebrate the fact that Jesus came to save his people (Us!) from their (OUR!) sins