As Paul neared the finish of his letter to the believers in Rome, he wrote, “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” (Romans 15:13)
God designed us to be filled with and fueled by joy!
In this exercise, we will leverage a significant source of joy by reliving beautiful memories of when He has made His presence known to us.
- Start by remembering a moment when you were filled with joy. Remember the emotions and physical sensations this situation stirred in you. Ask yourself where you sense God in that memory - What is He doing? How is He feeling?
- Give this memory a short name that describes the event. It could be something like “Birth of my child,” “Peaceful Sunrise,” or “Good, Good Father.” If helpful, write out a description in a journal or as a note on your device.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you have a list of 5 to 10 grateful memories.
- Find a place with limited distractions.
- Set a timer for 3 minutes.
- Slowly move through your list of memories, focusing on your emotional and physical responses.
- Repeat daily.
- Notice when those same feelings and sensations of joy resurface throughout the day.
There is nothing like spending time in the presence of our supremely loving and gracious God. As you remember these events in your life, you are personally experiencing God’s joy:
The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. (Numbers 6:24-26)
Stay connected to The Vine. He is our source of true joy. Spread it to those around you!